skip to content

Aspiring Model Suffers Severe Burns After Bathroom Catches Fire

Aspiring model after severe burns and several reconstructive surgeries

At age 22, Feride Buch was pursuing a modeling career. But on a summer day in 1995, her life took a tragic turn.

While walking on the beach, Feride stepped on a piece of glass that cut her foot. She rushed home to clean the cut with rubbing alcohol. She accidentally spilled the flammable liquid on her hair, shower curtain and towel, but didn’t think much of it.

“I was in rush. I needed to get ready for work,” Feride said. “But before jumping in the shower, I decided to light up a cigarette.”

Instantly, her small bathroom was engulfed in flames. Her hair, shower curtain and towels caught on fire. Feride suffered severe burns to 80 percent of her body. She was rushed to the UM/Jackson Burn Center at Ryder Trauma Center, where she spent weeks in a medically-induced coma.

Over the next three years, Feride underwent more than 40 skin grafts and several reconstructive surgeries.

“I consider my doctors and nurses at Ryder Trauma family,” said Feride. “They were fighting for me when I was sleeping. They believed in me when I couldn’t.”

Share

Trending Stories

Medical professional and image of Jackson Memorial Hospital Opens story page.

Aug. 1994 Medical Firsts

Florida’s First Intestinal Transplant

. Link opens story page.

In August 1994, 4-year- old Natasha Yousuf became the first person in the southeastern United States to receive an intestinal transplant.

Explore in story page.
Jackson nurse helping immigrant woman Opens story page.

Jan. 1976 Jackson History

Jackson Evolves to Support the Immigrant Community

. Link opens story page.

The 1960s through the 1980s was a crucial period in Miami’s history. With an influx of immigrants from Latin America coming to South Florida, they shaped Jackson.

Explore in story page.
Opens story page.

Mar. 2018 Employee Stories

Isabel Rivero

. Link opens story page.

Isabel Rivero, RN, BSN, brings a unique perspective to her work at the Schatzi and Stanley Kassal Project: Newborn Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Holtz Children's Hospital.

Explore in story page.

Copyright 2020 Jackson Health System

Jackson health System