Aspiring Model Suffers Severe Burns After Bathroom Catches Fire
At age 22, Feride Buch was pursuing a modeling career. But on a summer day in 1995, her life took a tragic turn.
While walking on the beach, Feride stepped on a piece of glass that cut her foot. She rushed home to clean the cut with rubbing alcohol. She accidentally spilled the flammable liquid on her hair, shower curtain and towel, but didn’t think much of it.
“I was in rush. I needed to get ready for work,” Feride said. “But before jumping in the shower, I decided to light up a cigarette.”
Instantly, her small bathroom was engulfed in flames. Her hair, shower curtain and towels caught on fire. Feride suffered severe burns to 80 percent of her body. She was rushed to the UM/Jackson Burn Center at Ryder Trauma Center, where she spent weeks in a medically-induced coma.
Over the next three years, Feride underwent more than 40 skin grafts and several reconstructive surgeries.
“I consider my doctors and nurses at Ryder Trauma family,” said Feride. “They were fighting for me when I was sleeping. They believed in me when I couldn’t.”
Jan. 2008 Medical Firsts
Treating Hypothermia from Within. Link opens story page.
In 2008, UHealth/Jackson surgeons became the first in the world to use an internal warming method to prevent hypothermia during burn surgery.Explore in story page.
Jan. 2017 Employee Stories
A Doctor and His Grandmother Change the Community. Link opens story page.
As I walk through the Jackson Memorial Medical Center campus every day, I am proud to walk in the footsteps of my grandmother, Gracie Wyche.Explore in story page.
Aug. 1992 Miracle Stories
Ryder Trauma Center Opens Weeks before Hurricane Andrew Hits South Florida. Link opens story page.
Thanks to charitable donation by the Ryder System Charitable Foundation, Jackson’s Ryder Trauma Center opened its doors on August 1992 – weeks before Hurricane Andrew devastated South Miami-Dade County.Explore in story page.